Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Freddy and Gwen Quilts

I know that a lot of you have seen Gwen and Freddy's collaborative quilts but I thought I would post some of the ones they showed at the retreat. I love seeing them in the book but seeing them in person is fantastic. You see a lot of details that you don't see in the book.



















This one above is one of my favorites and shows a truly collaborative effort. Gwen sends Freddy big boxes of squares she has made and when Gwen comes to Freddy's they put them together. Here they use the technique of putting them in columns.




















I loved this one in the book and loved it in person. They each started in a corner and worked toward the middle. Notice the pieced border.




















Here they used the serpentine border. I didn't try it but several did and they say it is easier than they thought.



















Here is a detail of this quilt, again they arranged the squares in columns. If the strip was too long they cut it off or two short they added a piece of fabric.


















It is a very interesting use of 16 patch. What a good way to use up scraps.



















They did quite a few quilts with this panel, I think it is Lady of Guadalupe.




















Here is the House in the Wood. The little house in the middle represents Gwens house on Beaver Island.

Here they are all together, what a riot of color!!

9 comments:

Lurline said...

Wonderful quilts - aren't they just alive with colour!
Hugs - Lurline♥

elle said...

I'm glad you are rested and ready to share. What wonderful inspiration! What great fun! I'm trying to get Liberated myself. Not quite as easy to do as to say! 8^)

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

I would have loved to be right there with you watching those glorious quilts!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thank you for sharing these -- I've used the serpentine border and it is MUCH easier than you might think. Give it a go!

Clare said...

What a riot of colour. Love the trees.

Tonya Ricucci said...

fabulous. so lucky to get to see these! I think the little house in the big woods is my favorite

Beertje Zonn said...

Wow, beautiful quilts!
Bear regards,

Beertje Zonn
Bear from the Netherlands

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like that first quilt too.

Unknown said...

This is perfect!
This is so beatiful!
wow!