Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Free Whales

This is my grandson's whale quilt. I have shared part of it but now the quilt top is finished. Nana has to put it together with the batting and decide how to quilt it.
The whales are swimming on the surface and the other things are at the bottom of the ocean. I of course used Tonya's letters for his name. Gwen has a section in her book on Liberated Pictorial quilts and I would say this is one. It is all free pieced with no templates at all.























This is the bottom of the quilt. My husband was watching the end of Law and Order and would not hold it up high enough. I used Gwen's square in a square technique. I really like using different shades of the same solid. To me it adds interest.



















Our young neighbor who is also our pharmacist is having a baby in June and I wanted to make her something very special. I found this fabric at Walmart. I cut out the nursery rhyme figures and once again did square in a square. I used yellow and white fabric. I haven't cut the blocks yet but I am going to turn them a bit when I cut them.



























It feels really good to be sewing again. I would love to get out in my yard if it would ever stop raining.

4 comments:

Bebesboutique said...

I think you did a wonderful job and no templates too! About the DH not holding the quilt high enough grrr lol thats why we have a DVR so I make my dh put it on pause. lol

Dionne said...

What a wonderful quilt! I really must get the hang of Tonya's letters!
Cheers,
Dionne

Clare said...

I was wondering what happened to this one. I love it. Well done, despite DH's attempts to scupper the photo!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, fun quilt