Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Charm blocks

My daughter in law surprised me this weekend with some charm blocks. I have never used them before. I have made several quilts for her to give friends who are having babies. She honestly didn't need to give me anything because I really enjoyed making them. I don't really know how to use them but it seems like endless possibilities. I would love to use them to make a coin quilt.


















She also brought me this darling robot fabric. This will make a great back or maybe I could fussy cut some of the characters. Don't you just love the colors?


















We had a wonderful weekend. Our youngest grandson was baptized. He did so well. He doesn't like strangers and I was afraid he would cry when the minister took him but he didn't. It was so great to have everyone here even if it was just for a short while.

I was messing around yesterday and did some snails trail. I think the purple is a bit strong. I really enjoy making these blocks. I think I will use some different colors and see how that works.


















What was the most fun for me was figuring out how big to make the next layer of squares by using that famous old theorem of Pythagoras. Well you know us old math teachers have weird ways of having fun!! I should do a tutorial. This is one of those blocks that is much simpler than it looks.


















Yes I did use a calculator for those nasty square roots.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions on my house quilt. It is up on my design board and I am just going to look at it for awhile. I think I need to use softer colors if I do sashing. I am also making some different size houses. I can actually add to some of the houses I have already done to make the sizes vary a bit. I love the liberated way of working but it does take a lot of creative energy. Sometimes it is soothing to work on something simple that doesn't require so much creativity.

4 comments:

Barb said...

What fun fabric she gave you.....I know you will do wonders with it all....

Love your snail trails....

jovaliquilts said...

That's terrific robot fabric! What a hoot! I made a snail's trail quilt and used similar colors and values within each of the two parts and it was lots of fun -- scrappy but coordinated.

Tonya Ricucci said...

love that robot fabric. math? eeeeeek

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the coin quilt! What a lovely pressie from your DIL. The snail's trail blocks are great - I like the fabric combo.