Friday, May 21, 2010

Finally finished

I am not officially part of the Bloggers Quilt Festival. Somehow I missed the info about it but I wanted to post my recent finish of which I am most proud. Please don't ask me how long it has taken me to finish this quilt, I won't tell!

I am most proud of this quilt because it is for my older grandson. His room is done in whales. It is all free pieced and done with liberated techniques. And to top it all off I hand quilted the whole thing! I had a lot of fun doing it, and it was my first hand quilted piece.





























Here he is pretending to surf like his father used to, well like he still does. Isn't it amazing what you can do with a box.































This is his very tall father, also known as my oldest son. Notice the different blues at the bottom. Gwen would be proud. I used Tonya's letters for his name. It is meant to depict the whales swimming along the surface of the water and the other sea life in the deeper water below.
I did wavy lines across the bottom to represent waves.































This is the back. I ordered fabric for the back and when I was ready to put the back, the batting and the front together I discovered that I didn't have enough. I ran out to Hancocks and got this fabric. I absolutely love it, much better than what I had to begin with.


12 comments:

Barb said...

What a very lovely quilt!! He looks very proud of it!!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Wow, that's a great quilt, and all that hand quilting! No wonder it took you a while. Your grandson looks so happy with his quilt.
You can still enter it into the Quilt Festival, you know.-)

nanaofnc said...

So cool! That's what my grandson would have said to a quilt like this at your grandson's age. He still loves sharks! Great job! xo,

Unknown said...

oh i love this....very nice....

Rosalyn Manesse said...

that's a super quilt! Wonderful blue color and we can almost swim with the whales!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Gwen would definitely be proud, I know I am. you did fantastic!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Let's see. (Counting on my fingers...) Owen looks to be about 4, plus 9 months prep...OH! Heck, I've got older projects! lol

It's a very beautiful quilt, and the back is just WONDERFUL! Handquilted to boot, a masterpiece.

Very luck grandson indeed. Very talented Grandma.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Very cool indeed ... our eldest collected penguins and the younger one collected - WHALES!

Very, very nice!

Anonymous said...

Whales - how cool is that! Your grandson must be thrilled to get a quilt like that!

The quilt festival goes on till the 28th so there's still time to enter...

Browndirtcottage said...

Great job girl!! I can't believe you found THE most perfect fabric for the back!!!

Sharon said...

Wow, a great quilt! You should be proud of yourself! Your letters look great, and I can't believe you hand-quilted the whole thing!! Wow! Perfect fabric for the back.

(Maybe you could take the fabric that was too small and make him a pillowcase!)

There's still time to enter this in the Blogger's Quilt Festival...it goes until the 28th.

Marit said...

What a great quilt! He is completely wrapped in love, here, and I think he knows it. It is great to make quilts for the ones you love!
It is not to late to enter the festival...
; )