Thursday, July 23, 2009

Busy Busy

Gosh I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted. We had a wonderful weekend last weekend with our second son and his wife. We relaxed and enjoyed being together. We also visited a beautiful garden. A "cousin" of mine has a garden that was on the garden tour and we were anxious to see it. She had a wonderful koi pond. I was fascinated with the colorful fish. She isn't technically my cousin but my uncles wife was her aunt so we share an uncle and two cousins. We decided to call ourselves cousins.


I finished the two quilts to send off to my daughter in law. Both of them were great fun to make. I machine quilted both of these.




















I am working on hand quilting my grandson's whale quilt. I went to Diana McClun's Quilts Quilts Quilts for advice. She says it takes a couple of hours to get in the quilting zone. I am really enjoying the hand quilting. I can't decide whether to use a hoop or not. The hoop seems so big and cumbersome.




















I did a cross hatch at the top. I did straight oblique lines for the whales.




















I also could not resist making a snails trail block. I was inspired by Gari. Please go and look at her beautiful batik quilt. It is honestly not a hard block to make. I was amazed at how easy it came together.

6 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

your quilting looks great! you know which way I vote about the hoop!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

In my family, we would definitely count the folks as cousins. I love the quilting. And a really impressive snail's trail

Unknown said...

love those quilts and the snail trail.

Gari in AL said...

Thanks for the plug. Your snails looks great: so glad you tried it. Now for a whole quilt? LOL

QuiltingFitzy said...

I'm a hoopless wonder. I just don't need one more thing to get in the way of having a nice relaxing moment to quilt!

Your quilting looks really good.

Sharon said...

I vote for no hoop for hand-quilting too. I could never get the hang of it - it just seemed awkward and in the way.

Your hand-quilting is looking good! Yep, it takes a little while to get "warmed up".

Your Snail's Trail looks great! Will you be making more?