Sunday, January 22, 2012

So square!

My aunt told me she was cutting squares so not to be left out I have been cutting squares from my scraps.  I thought I would go one step further and not just stuff them into a box but sort them according to predominant color.  I can tell you that I now get it.  It makes it so much easier.  I also got some cool boxes from Target.  I feel so organized!!

















I am making a baby quilt for a friend of my daughter-in-law that is on her traveling team.  I have used this idea before,  make random nine patches and stars.  I also inserted squares of a fabric she selected with some of the places where they had traveled. I love the way this is turning out. It is on my design wall.  I like to leave it for a few days to see if I want to move anything around.   I stole this idea from my aunt.  It is so versatile.  I can't decide on a border. 






















This is the back,  last year they traveled to Asia and she wanted something to represent the time they spent there.

















My other daughter in law fell in love with the placemats I made for the boys and she wants some for her house.

















Working on small projects is very satisfying and I love doing houses.

















This is the set up in my sewing room/studio.  In the background you can see my new design wall with the starry squares quilt on it.  I can sew, cut and iron without getting up from my chair. 

















When I moved things around a couple of months ago I bought a table from Overstock and put my sewing machine on it.  I lowered it and put the quilting table on it to give me a big flat surface. 

















I find it so relaxing to be engaged in creative pursuits.  I try to look at what I do and not compare.  I feel that you can lose focus if you start comparing.  It is hard not to compare with all the great quilting ideas on the internet. 

A quote that I find very meaningful to me.  Does this speak to you too?

Courntey Carver:  It's usually when I don't know exactly how to do what I am doing that I do my best work.  Don't let process and perfection get in the way. 

9 comments:

Barb said...

Oh I love your sewing set up, wonderful! Lots of fun projects going on over there. My sons are not interested in my stuff but maybe one day they will get a wife who will be....least ways, I am hoping!!

Ashley Hardee said...

I love!!! how the quilt is turning out!! The pattern and colors are great.

Lori R. said...

Great sewing room set-up!

Love the placemats - I also love to piece the houses - very first thing I tried after seeing Gwen (life changing experience) on Simply Quilts for the first time. I was HOOKED!!!!

Sharon said...

I love your stars and 9-patches quilt! It's a great pattern. And including the special fabrics is so fun.

Your placemats are fun too! I should use your idea and do that one of these days. Mine are starting to get shabby, and I'd rather look at something more fun, like free-pieced houses and trees!

I like your sewing set-up. Great table for your machine. I need to do something, as mine is too high. It's uncomfortable to sew for too long. Keep up the great creativity!

SewWhatsNew said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I really like your blog and your quilts. I am a follower now. I think Ruth is the best.

elle said...

So glad you are 'getting it'. I see that you are on a roll and things are looking wonderful. Luv the quote.

jovaliquilts said...

The placemats are great! I agree with you about small projects -- so satisfying to complete something, plus it's great to try things.

Clare said...

I have deliberately spread things out in my room so I have to get up and move about.

Nice things come in small packages!

Andrea said...

Your workspace looks great! That quote is true for me...I am very much a process person!