Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Piddling

So where have I been? who knows, I sure don't. It takes a lot of energy to look after two grandchildren but it sure is fun. My mother is getting along very well. I have had an angel drop right out of the blue to help us. My uncle that died recently had been at home with help for almost 5 years. The woman that looked after him contacted me about helping us. I was so surprised but so relieved. She is absolutely wonderful. She helps me with so many details and my mother is thriving with her there.

I haven't done much sewing. I did make some pillows for the beach to match our new sofa and love seat. After 25 years we thought it was time to do some updating.















My son or his wife usually pick the boys up about 4 so I sometimes have a little while to get up in my sewing room if I am not totally worn out. I don't have any direction at the moment. I really like to have a project to work on that really energizes me. It is very relaxing to just piddle a bit. I made a few houses. These were made from my scrap bag.












I really like this one, do you see the monkey?












When I can't focus on anything else I try to put scraps together into little squares. I find concentrating on figuring out what to put where takes my mind off of the hectic life I am living right now. It won't be this way forever. I am not one that loves a lot of activity. I would be very happy to stay home and piddle and put together scrap squares for days on end.













And of course there are always liberated stars to make.














I will have some time this summer. My daughter in law is taking the boys to her parents for 2 weeks.

What do you do to motivate yourself? HELP give me some suggestions.

6 comments:

marilyn said...

I find that if I force myself to just get in the sewing room and start something, it snowballs. Just the act of doing something, leads to something else and then you can't get me out of the room. I teach full time and have 4 kids and a husband to take care of so I understand being tired at the end of the day. But, most days I try to get some sewing/cutting/quilting in because I'm not going to die with all of this fabric left for other people to deal with :)

Carol E. said...

All I have to do is start cleaning my sewing room; I run across old ideas or UFOs I had forgotten, and I can hardly wait to sit down and sew. I love what you did today.

Clare said...

I mindlessly sew leaders and enders from the scrap bin. Making either small blocks or big blocks. Before I know it, I've got a top et voila! Muse has returned.

Tonya Ricucci said...

fun blocks - they'd go nicely together in a quilt.

Bebesboutique said...

Sew crumbs together helps me calm my mind also. The liberated way of quilting relieves pressure for me not haveing to BE perfect.

jovaliquilts said...

I love your little houses! I agree, concentrating on stitching really takes your mind off everything else.