Saturday, May 30, 2009

Playing with JOY

Tonya wanted some happy words so I volunteered for JOY, she wanted 4 letter words but I decided to be different. I did not have my grandsons this week so it was sort of a mini-vacation for me. But you know how it is at the beginning of the week you think you have so much time and at the end of the week you haven't done what you wanted to do. Oh well! I did start on my word.
I did one version and it was way too big. This is what is left of the J. I hated it as you can see but tried to salvage some of the pieces.














Here is the two Os that I did. There should be some heart in JOY and the middle of the O is the perfect place for it. The first one is so much bigger than the second one. I loved the balloon material for the background.
















I dislike this Y so much. I can't figure out how to do a good Y! I follow Tonyas directions but mine always end up looking so bad. I just don't know what to do about the Y, what is JOY without the Y, JO!















This is where Iam so far and I hope to work some this afternoon. This beautiful Saturday afternoons makes me want to get outside but I also want to finish my JOY. I love that little white tool that you see in the picture. It is great for pressing little seams before you go to the ironing board.















Some of the words Tonya has gotten are cockeyed but I can't quite figure out how to do that without messing everything up. I am always interested to read about how other people work. Every one is so individual in how what they do and how they do it.
I have a couple of other thins started at least started in my head. Lets get to work.

4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I like the heart for the O!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I always have problems with that capital Y too! that's why I've switched to the lower case y that looks like a lower-case h with a bar across the top. much easier to do. that O is wonderful!

Sharon said...

I think your letters look great! Your Y looks like a Y to me. And I love the heart in the middle of the O. Very inspired! Keep going - you'll get it. (I know how hard this is - I struggled too!)

Diane said...

I'm working on a 3 letter word for Tonya's quilt too. I read her excellent instructions for lettering but am using a "trial and error" construction technique. Your Y looks better than mine!